Teriyaki salmon rice bowl with spinach & avocado. Tender broiled salmon glazed with homemade teriyaki sauce on a bed of sushi rice, with spinach, sliced avocado and a sprinkling of toasted sesame & nuri.
Active Time: 25 mins | Total Time: 45mins | Serves: 4
- 1 pound salmon fillet cut into 4 thin portions (skin on is fine)
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup Mirin (rice wine)
- 1/2 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic (optional)
- 1 teaspoon finely minced ginger (optional)
Toasted Sesame and Nori:
- 1 8-inch square sheet of Nori, cut with a scissors into 1-inch strips. Stack the strips and cut crosswise into 1-inch by 1/4-inch confetti.
- 2 tablespoons of black or white sesame seeds, or a mixture of both
- 2 cups sushi rice (short grain rice)
- 2/3 cup homemade seasoned rice vinegar (see ingredients below) or you can buy seasoned rice vinegar in the Asian section of your grocery store.
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 20 ounces fresh spinach, washed
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 bunch scallions, washed, trimmed, and sliced crosswise
- 1 Avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
In a medium bowl, toss the fish with 1 tablespoon of the lime juice. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Drain and pat dry.
In a large pot, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the fish in a single layer and brown on one side only over moderately high heat, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add the onion, chiles, garlic and the 1/4 cup chopped cilantro to the pot and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste, coating the vegetables. Add the clam juice and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for 4 minutes. Pour in the coconut milk and simmer until thickened slightly, about 3 minutes.
Whisk the cashew butter with 2 tablespoons of hot water, then stir it into the stew. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice and season with salt. Transfer the stew to bowls, garnish with cilantro and serve.