Crab and curry are a match made in heaven! Crab Curry is a popular seafood dish that we often order only at restaurants. Despite the fact that everyone enjoys the taste of crab, many people are hesitant to attempt to cook the recipe. Cooking the crab, on the other hand, is not as difficult as many may think. The crab meat already has a lot of flavour, so it doesn’t take much effort to make a delicious gravy.
Try serving this curry with plain boiled rice and plenty of gravy. Crab curry is best eaten with your fingers.
SERVES 3 |COOKS IN – 45 MINUTES | DIFFICULTY – MEDIUM
- 1 Onions, Chopped fine
- 1.5 Kg orange cleaned and chopped crab
- 1.5 tbsp ginger and garlic grated
- 1 curry leaves
- 3 green chillies
- 5 jame (rosa) tomatoes
- 2 tsps curry powder
- 1/2 tsps tumeric
- 1 tsps ground cumin
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 1 tsps salt to start, add more after tasting
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/8 cup tamarind water
- In a large pot heat oil and brown onions.
- Add green chillies, curry leaves, ginger and garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Place in all the crab lower to medium heat, replace the lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next add in all spices, mix and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Liquidise the tomatoes and and add to the pot. Add salt to taste as well as brown sugar to cut acidity.
- Mix through, replace the lid and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Next, remove the lid, increase the heat to remove excess water from the tomatoes and thicken the gravy.
- Pour in the tamarind water and bring to the boil to finish.
- Remove from heat and leave to stand. The gravy will thicken standing.
- Serve hot with Basmati Rice