This Italian-inspired recipe uses the perfect flavor partners of chilli and garlic to bring to life one of Tasmania’s finest seafoods – the abalone. You need to use fresh abalone, which can be hard to get hold of, but it would work just as well with calamari too.
Marinating time 30 minutes
- 50 ml good extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 large red chilli, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 1 large green chilli, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper
- 2 whole abalone, freshly shucked, cleaned, scrubbed and trimmed
coriander, to garnish
In a bowl combine the olive oil, garlic, chilli and lemon juice. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Tenderise the abalone with a meat tenderiser and then very finely slice the abalone into 1–2 mm thick slices. Toss into the marinade and stir to cover evenly. Marinate for 30 minutes.
Heat a wok or heavy-based frying pan over a high heat until very hot (smoking!). Throw all the abalone and marinade in and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes. Watch out as it will spit for the first 30 seconds as it hits the high heat.
Serve immediately garnished with some coriander.