Our red prawns are sweet and delicious, with a texture and flavour similar to lobster. These huge prawns are commonly regarded as the best-tasting prawn available. The red prawn’s buttery flavour and meaty texture make it ideal for grilling, just brushed with your favourite marinade or sauce.
- Our red prawns are wild-caught in the chilly waters off Argentina’s coast then flash frozen to maintain freshness.
- Red prawns are neither experiencing population problems nor overfishing. The fishery was undergoing a fishery improvement project in collaboration with MSC as of 2021.
- Red prawns are bright red when captured, as opposed to other types of shrimp, which are normally blue or grey when caught before turning pink.
- You will receive a 750g ziplock bag of roughly 12-14 large Argentinian Prawns
For best results, thaw prawn completely prior to cooking. Argentinian red shrimp are particularly susceptible to overcooking. To easily prepare your red prawns, place thawed prawns into boiling water and simmer for approximately 2-3½ minutes.
Ideally cooked on the braai, pan-fried or grilled for maximum flavour for approximately 2-3 minutes – allow time to cook after removing from heat. We recommend to brush these prawns with garlic butter before cooking.
Argentinian Prawns are a cold water, premium Shrimp species found in the South-West Atlantic from Brazil to Argentina.
- Red prawns are not overfished or experiencing overfishing. Argentinian Fisheries are well underway to getting these Prawns certified by the MSC (Marine Stewardship Council) as a sustainable fishing stock by this year (2022). These prawns will be one of a select few in the world certified to be sustainably and wild caught.
We delivery in Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban and Pretoria. Delivery times, dates and prices vary from location. Please look at the delivery info page for a more detailed breakdown on these topics.
Your product will delivered in a polystyrene cooler box, which is use commonly in the seafood industry to maintain temperature and more importantly quality. This helps ensure a seamless, cold-chain delivery process.